Dr. Lilla Hárdi, the medical director of Cordelia Foundation held a workshop for the colleagues of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) on the “Basics of interview related communication and metacommunication” when working with refugees and asylum seekers, who most likely have experienced some kind of trauma either in their home country or along their migratory route. During the workshop the following topics were discussed:
- interview protocolls, building trust with vulnerable groups,
- trauma-informed interviewing,
- specifics of interviewing asylum seekers,
- how to work with interpreters,
- how to avoid re-traumatization,
- and the most common mental health issues affecting asylum seekers and refugees.
At the end of the day Cordelia’s colleague also held a session where the participants had the opportunity to practice in the migrant questionnaire tool.